Organ and Tissue Donation: The Facts
Today, in Ontario, there are over 1,500 people waiting for a lifesaving organ transplant. This is their only treatment option, and every 3 days someone will die because they did not get their transplant in time.
But you can help. When you register your consent for organ and tissue donation, you let those waiting know that you would help them if you could.
- One donor can save up to 8 lives through organ donation and enhance the lives of up to 75 more through the gift of tissue.
- Age alone does not disqualify someone from becoming a donor. There’s always potential to be a donor; it shouldn’t stop you from registering.
- Your current or past medical history does not prevent you from registering to be a donor. Individuals with serious illnesses can, sometimes, be organ and/or tissue donors. Each potential donor is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- All major religions support organ and tissue donation, or respect an individual’s choice.
- Organ and tissue donation does not impact funeral plans. An open casket funeral is possible.
Learn more about organ and tissue donation by browsing our FAQs, or take action today.